Southern Smothered Smoked Turkey Necks made easy in the pressure cooker. These delicious turkey necks are smothered with onions, celery, garlic, and brown gravy!
Well I just had to do it folks! I had to share a turkey necks recipe, because so many of my luvs have been requesting it. Ever since I posted my soul food style smothered pork neck bones, people have been asking me to do a southern smothered turkey necks recipe. I know what you’re going to ask… “so what the heck took so long Rosie?!”… Y’all, for whatever reason, my stores have been out of turkey necks! Recently, I visited a new (new to me) store, and they had some fresh turkey necks there! So now that I have explained myself, let’s get to cooking these turkey necks!
Use a Pressure Cooker or InstaPot for these Tender Smoked Turkey Necks
I made sure to make this recipe as simple as possible y’all. Every time that I make something with homemade gravy, someone always ask me if they can some store-bought gravy. USUALLY, I say NO!!! However, I can’t keep doing that to my babies, so for this recipe, I’m going to actually use some gravy packs. If you are not a fan of gravy packs, feel free to make some homemade gravy. The gravy that I made for my smothered turkey wings, will work for this recipe!
So I mentioned that we will be using gravy packs, to make this recipe easier (and quicker) right? Well I also am using my pressure cooker as well, because I’ve been getting a lot of requests for more pressure cooker recipes. I guess you can say this is pretty much a 2 for one deal.
Whenever I make southern smothered turkey necks, I like to serve it with over rice or mashed potatoes. My favorite side dish would probably be collard greens, and then I like to finish off this soulful meal with a nice slice of my soul food sweet potato pie! Let me know in the comments, what you would serve with these delicious southern smothered turkey necks!
Be sure to save & share this recipe on Pinterest!
Watch me make these delicious smothered turkey necks! Don’t miss out on a single recipe – subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube.
Southern Smothered Turkey Necks
- 4 lbs turkey necks regular, not smoked
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- (3) 0.87 packages of brown gravy mix I used McCormicks
- 3 cups chicken or turkey broth
- Make sure that the turkey necks are nice and clean, then place them into a large bowl.
- Combine the seasoning salt, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and dried thyme together in a large bowl. Then sprinkle all over the turkey necks. Set the turkey necks to the side.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp of vegetable into a large pan, then place over medium heat.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, add in the onions and celery, and cook until they have a little color to them. Now toss in the garlic, and cook for 1 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- Place all of the turkey necks into to the instant pot ( or whatever pressure cooker that you are using). Then add in the onions, celery, and garlic.
- Now sprinkle in the packages of gravy mix, and pour in the broth.
- Put the lid top on the instant pot, make sure it is sealed, and set it on high for 55 minutes.
- Once done, carefully remove the steam ( as directed), then stir the southern smothered turkey necks.
- Dish out the turkey necks, and serve over rice or potatoes.
- Serve & Enjoy!