This Old Fashioned Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe is amazing. It’s Definitely one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes!
A Classic Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe!
This southern style cornbread dressing is simply amazing! I start off making homemade southern cornbread for this recipe. I then let the cornbread sit for one day, because day old cornbread, makes the best southern cornbread dressing.
I like to call this my soul food cornbread dressing, because I put my heart and soul into it when I make it! Honey, this dressing has the onions, bell pepper, shredded chicken, celery- You name it, it’s in there! I don’t hold back! It’s like that old fashioned cornbread dressing that Grandma use to make. It’s packed with flavor!
A few things before we get into the southern cornbread dressing recipe. This is not a Jiffy Cornbread Dressing. Although I love Jiffy, I don’t like to use it for this dressing simply because it’s sweet. Therefore, I make my homemade cornbread. IF you want to use Jiffy, you can!
While you’re here, check out some of my other cornbread dressing recipes!
This southern cornbread dressing recipes calls for day old cornbread. I know it may seem time consuming, but it is worth it, and to be honest with you – This is a really easy cornbread dressing recipe!
This cornbread dressing has chicken in it. If you want to leave the chicken out, you can! 🙂
Get the recipe for my southern cornbread dressing, and don’t forget to follow me on FACEBOOK , Instagram, YouTube & PINTEREST
Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe 2 batches
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers crumbled
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium sized green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper diced1 large red onion, diced
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 lb cooked chicken shredded
- 3 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Remember to make the cornbread a day in advance ( to dry it out!).
- The next day, crumble the cornbread into a large bowl, along with the crackers.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the butter into a medium sized pan, and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the onions, celery, and bell peppers.
- Cook the vegetables until they soften, then add in the garlic, seasonings, and chopped herbs.
- Turn the heat off, and stir the ingredients.
- Add the cooked vegetables, chicken, and herb mixture into the large bowl with crumbled cornbread and crackers.
- Add in the cream of mushroom soup, and the egg then fold the ingredients.
- Add the mixture into a lightly greased or buttered 9 x 13 bake dish, and cover.
- Let bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, uncover, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Serve & enjoy!