Cabbage and collard greens cooked together with bacon, onions, garlic, and seasonings. This is the perfect soul food side dish!
So you’ve read the title, and some of you maybe confused, but others are screaming “IT’S ABOUT DARN TIME ROSIE!!!”. This cabbage and collard greens recipe has been requested for almost two years, and I apologize for not doing it sooner, but it’s better late than never.
So to get started for this cabbage and collard greens recipe I used regular smoked bacon. I know, usually when I make greens, or cabbage I use ham hocks, smoked turkey, or even neck bones. However I wanted to show y’all that bacon can certainly be used, AND it cooks a lot faster!
Speaking of FASTER – to cut down on the prep time, I like to buy the greens in a bag. You know the kind that are already cleaned and cut? Yup, Those! However, I still give them a good rinse before cooking!
Now for all of my non-pork eaters, Don’t worry! You can use turkey bacon. I suggest adding 2 tbsp of vegetable oil while frying the turkey bacon, so that
Watch me make this soulful cabbage & collard greens!
Don’t miss a single I Heart Recipe update – subscribe to my YouTube channel now!
Soulful Cabbage & Collard Greens
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 2 lbs collard greens cut
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large onion yellow, white, or red
- 1 lb smoked bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- Make sure that you wash the cabbage & collard greens before anything else. Then cut and slice.
- Place a large pot over medium high heat, then toss in the sliced bacon.
- Cook the bacon until it browns a bit, then toss in the onions, and the red bell peppers.
- Once the onions and bell peppers start to soften, start adding in the sliced cabbage, and collard greens.
- Fold the ingredients, and once all the cabbage and collards are in the pot, toss in the minced garlic.
- Pour 1 1/2 cup water, then sprinkle in some seasoning salt, and black pepper. Give everything a nice stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 45 or until cabbage and collard greens are nice and tender
Leave a Reply to Judy Cancel reply