How to make the very best soul food cornbread dressing from scratch!
Hey y’all! With the holidays approaching, I decided that now would be the perfect time to share my recipe for soul food cornbread dressing! Yes, I know-I have many cornbread dressing recipes. However there was one in particular that most of my subscribers went crazy over, and it was this one! Yup, years ago I shared this recipe on YouTube, but the actual recipe was never posted on my blog. So here I am, finally posting it!
So first things first. You’re going to need some cornbread for this dressing recipe. You can use one of my many recipes for homemade cornbread, or you can use boxed cornbread ( I won’t judge you!).
Here’s a list of my cornbread recipes!
Again, if you can use store bought boxed cornbread if you’d like!
I like to use fresh sage in my soul food cornbread dressing recipe. However, I realize that some people may not have it on hand so feel free to use ground sage if needed. It will definitely work as well!
Other than sage, I like to add a nice amount of onions, celery, and garlic. I cook the vegetable until they are nice an tender, then I add them with the cornbread, and other ingredients.
Share this recipe on Pinterest!
Watch me make my cornbread dressing recipe!
Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
- Cornbread enough to fill a 9x13
- 1 sleeve ritz or saltine crackers
- 3 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 sage leaves OR 2 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz cream of chicken
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- Start chopping, and dicing all of the vegetables such as the celery, onions, and garlic. Also chop up the fresh sage.
- Next, drizzle the olive oil into a large pan, then place the pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is nice and hot add in the onions, celery, and garlic. Cook until nice and tender.
- Now toss in the fresh sage. Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- Crumble the cornbread into a large mixing bowl, along with the crackers.
- Now add in the cooked vegetables. Fold the ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Now pour in the broth followed by the cream of chicken soup.
- Add in the eggs, and mix everything until well combined.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning salt, thyme and pepper.
- Now mix until well combined.
- Preheat the the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly oil a 9x13 bake dish, then pour in the dressing mixture.
- Bake the dressing uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!