Homemade stuffing recipe made southern style! Instead of using cornbread, we’ll be using french bread!
Hey loves! I know, we’re nowhere near Thanksgiving, but I’ve been craving homemade stuffing lately! Usually when I make stuffing I use cornbread, but today I was craving some southern old fashioned bread stuffing! Have you all every tried southern bread stuffing? If not you are certainly missing out on this dish. Bread stuffing is very similar ti cornbread stuffing, but made with, well.. Bread!
So let’s get the obvious question out of the way. What’s the difference between dressing and stuffing? Well stuffing is usual stuffed inside of something like turkey or chicken. Dressing on the other hand is made on the side. However, this recipe can be used for dressing OR stuffing! So I’m just going to call it stuffing.LOL
For this stuffing recipe, you’ll need a large loaf of french bread. I like to cut the french bread into large cubes, then I toast the bread in the oven until its nice in crisp. Once the bread is crisp, remove it from the oven.
The bread is then tossed with celery, onions, and pepper- which by the way have been cooked in bacon drippings! Everything is seasoned and combined with chicken( or turkey) broth and mixed until well combined.
Seriously, this is the best bread stuffing! It’s perfect anytime of the year, especially for Thanksgiving( with yams, and smothered turkey wings?! Yaaassss Lawd!!!!)
Be sure to share & save this recipe on Pinterest!
Simple Homemade Bread Stuffing
- 1 large loaf french bread
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 4-6 stalks celery diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tbsp bacon drippings
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Cut the french bread in large cubes.
- Lightly oil or grease a cooking sheet, then place the bread on the sheet.
- Bake the bread until it's nice and crisp.
- While the bread is baking, head over to the stovetop.
- In a large pan, add in 2 tbsp of bacon drippings.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- Once the bacon drippings is nice and hot, add in the peppers, onions, and celery. Season with 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
- Cook until tender, then add in the garlic.
- Let cook for another minute or so, then turn the heat off.
- Remove the bread from the oven, then toss the cubes into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Now add in the beaten egg, and fold the ingredients.
- Add in the cooked vegetables, and sprinkle in the poultry seasoning, remaining salt, and pepper.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Lightly grease or oil a 9x13 bake dish.
- Add in the stuffing mixture.
- Bake in the oven on 350F, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the dressing from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: Add some chopped parsley on top, for looks.
- Serve and enjoy!