Homemade coconut cake recipe made with cake mix, and topped with homemade coconut buttercream!
Fluffy homemade coconut cake, with creamy coconut frosting, and sweetened coconut flakes. Sounds pretty damn good right? I swear, I love coconut cake. The only thing I don’t like, is making it completely from scratch all the time. Call me crazy, but I prefer to take shortcuts whenever possible. That’s why I have plenty of semi homemade recipes.
My semi homemade coconut cake is pretty darn easy to whip up, and it tastes like it was made from scratch! No one will know the difference.
For this coconut cake, I use coconut buttercream, which is homemade. I simply bake the cakes, let cool, then frost them with the homemade coconut buttercream. After I frost the cake, I then add sweetened shredded coconut…
C’mon. You know it looks good… and I promise you, it tastes even better! Give this recipe a try y’all!
Watch me make this semi homemade coconut cake!
Semi-Homemade Coconut Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Pour the cake mix into a large mixing bowl, then sift or whisk to get rid of the lumps.
- Add in the eggs, coconut milk, and vegetable oil.
- Mix until well combined, then add in the coconut extract, and mix.
- Spray the cake pans ( two 8 or 9 inch pan) with baking spray, then pour in the cake batter.
- Bake each cake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Let the cakes cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients for the buttercream in one bowl, and mix until creamy.
- Once the cakes are cool, frost them, then add the shredded coconut on the top and sides.
- Let the cake sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve ad enjoy!