A non traditional lasagna recipe made Philly Cheesesteak Style! Loaded with tender steak, peppers, onions, ricotta, over 5 cheeses, AND a creamy homemade sauce!
A Simple Recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna!
Recently I asked my readers to pick this years recipe. I got a HUGE response. A lot of you asked for casseroles, some asked for Philly cheesesteak recipes, while others asked for more slow cooker recipes. I will try my very best to answer as many request as I possibly can this year ( You can still leave a request here!), but I’m going to combine the casserole & Philly cheesesteak recipe for this post, and share my recipe for homemade Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna!
For this recipe I use Beef Chuck Flank Iron Steak. Depending on where you get the steak, it may cost a tad bit more than other steak, but I ensure you that it is worth it. This steak is super tender, and juicy, unlike other cuts.
All of the cheese used in this lasagna can be found at you local grocery store. I got all of my cheeses from my local Krogers store, from the deli. However, you can find them at other stores as well such as Safeway, Wincos, and etc….
This recipe may seem a tad bit intimidating, however it is quite easy. If anything, it’s time consuming, but worth every minute.
Try making this Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna for your next get together, or Sunday dinner!
While you’re here, check out some of my other lasagna recipes!
ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLL UPS WITH BEEF & RICOTTA
Print the recipe below, and subscribe to my mailing list for more recipes! Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Watch me make this homemade Philly cheesesteak Lasagna!
Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna
- 16 oz of lasagna pasta
- 2 lbs Beef Chuck flank iron steak thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese shredded
- 1/2 lb white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 lb Muenster cheese shredded
- 1/4 lb Creamy Harvarti cubed
- 16 oz ricotta
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 oz Mascarpone
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 2 tsp fresh or dehydrated minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt & pepper for taste
- Pour 2 tbsp of vegetable oil into a large pot of pan, then heat up over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the steak, season with the salt & pepper, then cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next, remove the steak from the pan, then add in the peppers & onions. Season with sat & pepper.
- Cook until translucent, then remove from the pan.
- Combine the steak, onions, and peppers, then toss in the minced garlic. Set to the side.
- In medium sized sauce pan, add 4 tbsp of salted butter, and melt down over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in 1/3 cup of all purpose flour, then stir and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Next pour in the milk, then add the mascarpone cheese.
- Stir the ingredients, and now add in the creamy harvarti.
- Stir the ingredients, until all sauce is creamy, and everything is melted & creamy.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Now cook the pasta until it al dente'.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs, 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese, and Italian herbs.
- Mix until well combined.
- Combine all of the remaining cheese.
- Now it's time to LAYER THE INGREDIENTS!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly oil a 9x13 bake dish.
- Add in a layer of pasta, then the ricotta mixture, the cheese mixture, the pepper and onions, then the cheese sauce.
- The top off with sauce, steak, and cheese.
- Leave the lasagna uncovered,
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before digging in.
- Serve & enjoy!
Trapper John says
Looks great, can’t wait to try it, yum yum!
Thanks so much! Enjoy the recipe!
Ashley A Stokes says
Hi Rosie, Do you have cook book yet lol Your recipes are amazing!!!
Hi Ashley! Not yet, LOL! XOXO
Adam Wilson says
Hi miss Rosie. I saw your recipe via the web and you sparked a perfect Christmas dinner idea for me. I gonna give this a try. With my culinary expertise I think this philly delicacy will have the family filled with a Yule type treat for the new year
Adam Wilson says
I will!!! Also will have a picture of it once it’s done. Course you already know how the real deal is since you created it. Haha
How are you when I saw this recipe I thought wow that would be a good and different lasagna because I just love philly cheese steak so I have got try this but I was wondering if we couldn’t the flank steak or havarti or mascarpone cheese what else can we use in its place I am
Planning on making this sometime this week keep up with the good work love your recipes
Hi Ms. Felicia. All of the ingredients are actually easy to find. However, If needed the havarti can be replaced with more mozzarella cheese. The mascarpone can be replaced with cream cheese ( cream cheese is heavier though). The steak can be replaced with a cheaper cut. However I highly recommend using what is listed for best results.
Oh My Word…..that cheese sauce!!!! Great recipe! Pinned. Thanks, Rosie. xoxo
It’s simply amazing! Thanks for pinning Mary! I appreciate it!
provolone cheese, muenster cheese, and harvarti cheese are the suppose to be cups or pounds.
Hi Jackie. It’s pounds, sorry about that.
I counted over 4 pounds of cheese. Ha! Weeee doggggies!
Looks great!! Pinned. Thanks for another great recipe!
Thanks so much for pinning! XOXO
Janet L Billins says
I made your recipe for philly steak lasagna, and I’m lucky that I even got any!! They dogged it! Thank you sooomuch for this amazing recipe, I hope to find other recipes that you have posted for all of us to experience!!
So glad that you liked the recipe! XOXO
Y’all! I just cooked this and I am in love! I wish I could put my pic on here
Glad that you liked the recipe!
You rock girl!
Thanks Tamara! XOXO
My family LOVED this recipe. Hubby came trotting back into the kitchen for seconds.
If you want to impress company or a crowd, then this is the recipe that will do it.
This is going into the KEEPER recipes.
Thanks so much for trying my recipe Christina!
Hey Rosie!! Quick question. Am I able to use oven ready lasagna pasta instead of boiling them. This will be the 9th recipe I have tried of yours!!
Hi Dee! Absolutely 😀 . Thanks so much for trying my recipes! XOXO
Tanya Stroud says
I will never make regular lasagna again! Every year for thanksgiving I try a new dish on the menu along with all the other usual foods and this year I decided it would be your Cheesesteak lasagna recipe. OMG it was a hit. I made it exactly as your recipe stated and it turned out just like your picture and the taste was phenomenal. I think it will be on the menu for Christmas as well.
Can you make this ahead and either refrigerate or freeze? Do you thinnnit would still be as good?
OMG!!! ROSIE, this recipe is everything!!! I was a little concerned because there was a few cheeses that I had never tasted much less used in my cooking before but it turned out Amazing… my family loved it!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
Randy Johnson says
This will DEFINITELY be my Thanksgiving dish! Thanks.
Made it for dinner tonight. Delicious!! My picky kids were skeptical when I told them what I was making, but they ate TWO servings. Only changes I made were to use whole grain pasta bc that was all I had and I halved the recipe, but not the cheese sauce. It was a perfect fit in my 8×8 dish. Will definitely be making this again! Thanks!
Debra Vorters says
The meal was delicious I needed something new to cook ,we was so tried of the same things all the time thank you.
Kimberly Robinson says
This looks delicious I will be trying the recipe soon.