I love coconut anything., so it’s no surprise that coconut cake is one of my favorite desserts. The cake is actually on of the most simple cakes to make. You basically make a white cake, then a whipped cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle sweetened coconut flakes all over the cake! This dessert is perfect for all holidays, and special occasions. Because of the super creamy whipped cream cheese frosting, I highly recommend making this cake the day of serving!
Give this cake a try and tell me what you think.
Rosie’s Coconut Cake
- 2-½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
- 1-½ cups sweetened coconut flakes for topping
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift cake flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, add butter, egg whites and granulated sugar.
- Mix with a mixer until creamy.
- Add in vanilla, mix.
- Add in milk, mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. Do not overmix.
- Grease and line (with parchment papetwo round 9-inch cake pans.
- Pour cake batter into the cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. After a few minutes, gently remove cakes from pans and cool on cooling racks.
- While the cake is cooling, add sweetened coconut flakes to a cookie sheet, place in a preheated 350-degree oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully so the coconut flakes don’t burn. They should be just lightly toasted.
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a large bowl.
- With a mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream, mix until creamy.
- Add in the confectioners sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, frost the top of one.
- Stack the other on top and frost the sides and top.
- Sprinkle the coconut flakes on the top and sides of the cake.