Here is my recipe for my fried catfish. I use minimal ingredients because I don’t like my fish to be overpowered by seasonings. I use a combination of all-purpose flour and cornmeal. You can use white or yellow cornmeal, the fish will taste great regardless. I suggest serving this fish with greens, and potato salad.
- Either frozen (thawecatfish nuggets or fresh catfish filets can be used
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-½ cup vegetable oil for frying
- On a plate or in a large bowel, add ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1-½ teaspoon garlic salt.
- Mix ingredients with hands.
- Rinse catfish under cool water and pat dry.
- Place catfish in bowl of seasonings and coat well, carefully covering all surfaces.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-½ cups vegetable oil on medium high.
- Carefully place catfish, one at a time, in oil.
- Fry each side until golden brown, and fish is cooked through.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve warm!