How to make homemade southern creamed corn completely from scratch!
Creamed corn takes me y’all! Like seriously! Whenever my mom would ask me which vegetable she should make for dinner I always answered ” CREAMED CORN!”. I don’t even know why she bothered to ask! It had to be a trick question. I swear, whenever she made creamed corn it was always so buttery, and sweet. It was pure perfection. My mom would always serve it with rice, and I’d always eat that first, and run back for seconds!
These days, not a lot has changed! I still love creamed corn! I especially love it during the holidays, because I fool myself into believing that I can eat as much as I want to! LOL. Follow my recipe below, and you will have an amazing side dish. Feel free to double the recipe, because this southern creamed corn will go fast!
Watch the video tutorial!
- 4 ears of corn
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half & half or 1/4 cup milk, and 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Peel back the corn husk, and remove the corn silk as well.
- Rinse the corn under cool water, then cut the corn from the cob, using a sharp knife.
- Pour 2 tbsp of bacon grease into a large pan, then place the pan over medium heat.
- Once the grease is nice and hot, toss in the corn, and cook it until it is nice and tender.
- Sprinkle in 1 tbsp of all purpose flour, and stir.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of half &half, and stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Stir, and let cook until the creamed corn thickens to your preference.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply to Rosie Cancel reply