How to make Delicious braised southern, soul food style kale greens seasoned with smoked turkey, peppers, onions, and more!
A Simple Braised Southern Style Kale Recipe!
Usually when I’m requested to share a southern greens recipe, It’s for collards , turnips, or mustard greens. However, lately a lot of my readers have been asking me if I had a southern style kale recipe. I actually have several southern style kale recipes, however in this post, I’m going to share my braised southern style kale recipe!
While you’re here, check out some of my other southern side dish recipes!
SOUTHERN BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE CASSEROLE
SOUTHERN COLLARD GREENS WITH HAM HOCKS
SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES WITH SMOKED TURKEY
This braised kale is as pretty as it is delicious. I used a lot of colorful ingredients to please the eyes as well as the taste buds. There’s plenty of sweet red bell peppers, flavorful onions, and spicy jalapeños peppers.
Try serving these greens with my traditional southern fried chicken, and southern potato salad. If you want dessert, follow up with my soul food style peach cobbler!
Print the recipe below and subscribe for more free recipes! Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Braised Southern Style Kale
- 2.5 lbs rainbow kale washed & cut
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1.5 lb smoked turkey leg wing, or tail
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup sliced jalapeños jared of fresh
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Put the smoked turkey in a large pot, then pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover, and boil the smoked turkey over medium high heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add in the 2 cups of water, then start adding the kale, and stir.
- Once all the kale is in the pot, add in the carrots, red peppers, jalapeños, onions, and garlic.
- Stir the ingredients, then sprinkle in the sugar, seasoning salt, and black pepper.
- Add in the apple cider vinegar, and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low medium, and cover the pot.
- Let simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply to Rosie Cancel reply