Hey folks! In this post, I’m sharing my recipe for Brown Stewed Chicken.
Brown Stewed chicken is a popular dish in the Caribbean. They are many ways to prepare it. My recipe for brown stewed chicken, is quite simple. I use ingredients that are easy to find at the grocery store, and are also easy on my pockets.
This dish takes about 1 hour to make, most of the time comes from stewing the chicken.
Be sure to watch my video tutorial , and give this recipe a try. Leave your comments below and tell me what you think.
Brown Stewed Chicken
- 1 1/2 lb chicken pieces
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 cups hot water
- Clean the chicken, then set it in a large bowl. Season the chicken with the seasonings, and garlic, and rub in.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken for two hours.
- Pour 1/4 vegetable oil into a pan, and turn the heat to medium high. Once the oil is hot, place the chicken into the pan.
- Fry each side of the chicken until it browns, then remove the chicken and set it on a plate.
- Add the carrots and onions to the pan, and fry until they soften. Pour out most of the oil, then add the ketchup. Stir the ingredients, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Place the chicken back into pan, then pour in 2 cups of hot water.
- Cover the pan with a lid, and let simmer 45 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally so that nothing burns at the bottom of the pan.