Homemade Hearty Beef Stew with vegetables made in the Crock-Pot
Hey folks in this post I have an amazing homemade beef stew recipe. It’s loaded with beef stew meat, leeks, carrots, celery, potatoes, and more. Honestly this recipe beats any canned stew recipe any day, and it’s extremely easy to make. Let me show you how I made stew.
I started of with my vegetables. Whenever I make stew, I use whatever vegetables that I have on hand. On this day, I happened to have a ton of fresh, and frozen goodies ( thanks to my recent grocery run). I used a combination of beautiful bright orange carrots, huge fresh leeks, yellow onions, crisp flavorful celery, and lots of mushrooms. I used a few other veggies as well, but I’ll list them down below.
As far as meat, I used beef stew meat. In the past when dealing with stew meat, it has either been a hot or miss. I noticed that whenever I slow cook the meat, it always comes out tender. Therefore, I decided to throw everything in the slow cooker. However, before I tossed the meat into the slow cooker, I browned it in a skillet with flour.
The flour helps brown the stew, and thickens up the juices in the stew as it cooks, however I found that the flour didn’t thicken the stew enough for me. To fix this simple problem, I added cornstarch during the last 5 minutes of cooking (watch my video tutorial ).
Check out my video tutorial
Crock-Pot Beef Stew
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2-3 large russet potatoes washed-peeled-chopped
- 4 large carrots washed-peeled-chopped
- 2-3 ribs of celery chopped
- 2 large leek
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots or just peas
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 32 oz beef stock
- 1/3 all purpose flour
- 1 tsp crush basil
- 1 tsp Rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp salt free seasoning or 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Pour vegetable oil into a skillet, and place over medium heat.
- Coat the meat with the flour, and once the oil is hot brown the meat.
- Remove the meat from the pan, and pour in the beef stock.
- Toss the meat back into the pan, and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Toss all of the vegetables into the Crock-Pot, along with the meat, and seasonings.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Dish out about 1 cup of beef stock, and add 2 tbsp of cornstarch to it. Whisk.
- Pour the thickened stock back into the slow cooker. Mix, and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!