Southern, soul food style baked vegan macaroni & cheese. Made with a easy creamy homemade non diary cheese sauce.
I guess you can officially call me the macaroni & cheese queen. I mean, I literally have over 5 macaroni and cheese recipes posted, and I’m far from done! This time around I come to you with a super creamy, cheesy, macaroni and cheese recipe- But get this… IT’S VEGAN! No seriously! I’ve had several readers contact me, and request that I start uploading vegan soul food recipes. I agreed, so in addition to all of my traditional soul food recipes, I will start uploading vegan soul food as well- Starting off with some soulful mac & cheese!
Alright, so if you’re a non vegan, you’re probably sitting there with your lips poked out wondering “WHY, THOUGH?!”.. Let me tell you.. Don’t knock it until you try it! I kid you not, my family and I LOVE this recipe. We are not vegans, but we’ve been toss in some ” vegan meals” into our rotation, and this mac & cheese is one of our favorites.
When I first started doing my “vegan recipe research” I played around with several vegan mac & cheese recipes that I found online. Some of them were ” cool”, and others were a ” oh hells to the naw”. I found that a lot of recipes were very bland. Me being the person I am, I had to play around with some ingredients, and learn how to flavor it up… soul food style of course!
Most of the vegan mac & cheese use cashews, potato, and carrots. I actually like those three ingredients so I use them in mine. The cashews add a nice creamy texture to the cheese sauce, so does the potatoes. The carrots, and flavor and color.
I also use nutritional yeast in the easy vegan mac and cheese. It’s flavorful, and it seems to thicken up the sauce, which is a plus for me! Nutritional yeast can be hard to find, It’s usually not at regular grocery stores. I bought mine from the Vitamin Shoppe in the super foods isle.
If you’re not a vegan, give this recipe a try anyway and tell me what you think in the comment section below. Also, if you have any vegan family members & friends share this recipe with them! XOXO
Watch my video tutorial for this easy vegan mac & cheese recipe!
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 cup cashews, plus 2 cups water
- 1 large yellow potato, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup baby carrots ( or two large carrots), peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3½ cup non dairy milk ( I used a rice & quinoa blend)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 cups vegan cheese
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add in the cashews.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and let the cashews soak for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and garlic into a bake dish.
- Drizzle the olive oil, all over the veggies the cover.
- Roast the veggies in the oven on 400, for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Boil the pasta until al dente, then drain.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, garlic, cashews, non dairy milk, nutritional yeast, seasoning salt, and hot sauce into a food processor, or blender.
- Puree the ingredients.
- Lightly oil a bake dish, then add in the pasta.
- Pour in the "cheese sauce", and sprinkle in 1 cup of vegan cheese.
- Fold the ingredients, then top off with remaining vegan cheese.
- Bake in the oven uncovered on 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!