Homemade sweet potato casserole recipe with ooey gooey marshmallows, and a nice golden crumbly topping.
This holiday season, it’s all about sweet potato recipes. Why? Because I can never get enough sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Honey, I just love piling my plate with a nice healthy portion of sweet potato casserole. I swear I could eat a whole dish of it. In this post, I’m going to show you how I make my homemade sweet potato casserole. However, I will warn you- You’ll probably want to double this recipe during the holidays!
First things first. This is not a canned sweet potato casserole, I use freshly baked sweet potatoes for my recipe. I just like the taste of freshly baked sweet potatoes in my sweet potato casserole, but if you want to use canned you can! However, if you do use canned sweet potatoes make sure that you drain them.
I spice up the sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of clove. The casserole has a delicious layer of marshmallows, and it’s topped with a crumply topping made of flour, sugar, and butter.
This sweet potato cobbler can be served as a side dish during the holidays, or as a dessert. Try it out for yourself!
Watch me make my homemade sweet potato casserole
- Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ sticks of salted butter ( 4 tbsp), melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ ground clove
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsp salted butter, cold
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ cup mini marshmallows
- * butter for greasing
- Wash & scrub the sweet potatoes thoroughly, then place them on a cookie sheet, and bake them on 350 F for about 35 minutes, or until tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, scoop out the filling & place the filling into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add in the melted butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, maple syrup, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground clove.
- Mix all the ingredients, then add in 3 large eggs.
- Mix everything until well incorporated then set to the side.
- Toss all the ingredients into a large bowl, and mix with a fork, until it's nice and crumbly.
- Build the casserole
- Butter up a 9x13 bake dish, then pour in the sweet potato filling.
- Toss the marshmallows on top of the sweet potato filling.
- Next, sprinkle the crumbly topping on top of the casserole.
- Leave the casserole uncovered, and bake in the oven on 350 F, for 45 minutes.
- Once done let the casserole sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!