So the other day, I decided to clean clean out my deep freezer, which I HATE doing. Anyways I found a lot of goodies in there. One of those goodies happened to be some pork spare ribs. I swear when I found them, I almost did a happy dance… okay, okay- I twerked a lil bit! Anyway, I was happy because I had been craving ribs for a minute now, and so had my son. I don’t know why, but my baby is stuck on barbecue ribs these days. Anyways, I decided to make the ribs for dinner. I didn’t want to make your average barbecue ribs. I wanted my ribs to be a little on the sweeter side. I remembered that I had some fresh pineapple in the refrigerator, leftover from my paradise salad, and decided to incorporate it into my recipe.
The ribs that I used were pork spare ribs. If you don’t eat pork, you can use beef ribs instead. Also, I used fresh pineapple for this recipe, but canned pineapple will work! As far as barbecue sauce, feel free to use whatever brand that you want.
These ribs can be made in the slow cooker or the oven. If made in the slow cooker I would use my 6 qt slow cooker, and would let the ribs cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Made in the oven I used a 9×13 bake dish, and let it cook on 350 F for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Slow cooker: Make sure that the ribs are covered while they cook. Once done remove from the slow cooker, and place them on a cookie sheet. Turn the oven on BROIL, and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
Oven: Make sure that the ribs are covered will they cook. Once done, uncover, and BROIL for about 3-5 minutes
Watch my video tutorial for these Sweet and Smokey Barbecue Pork Spare Ribs
- 2 lb pork spare ribs, membrane and excess fat removed
- 1 tbsp salt free seasoning or 1½ tsp seasoning salt , and ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 24 oz bottle of barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp of hickory liquid smoke
- 1½ cup pineapple chunks
- * OPTIONAL* Sliced Peppers, and Chopped Green Onions for garnishing
- Cut the ribs in sections ( you may leave them whole if you choose)
- Season the ribs with the salt free seasoning or salt and pepper
- Spray your bake dish or slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Place the ribs into the dish, followed by the pineapple.
- Combine the Barbecue sauce, orange marmalade, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, and liquid smoke.
- Mix until well combined.
- Pour the sauce over the ribs and pineapple, then cover.
- Crockpot: Cook for 4 hours on high
- Oven: Bake on 375 F for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Uncover the ribs, and broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy.