How to make southern soul food collard greens with bacon!
We all have that one dish that is pretty much or signature dish. It just so happens that collard greens happens to be one of mine. My southern soul food style collard greens are simply the best. I truly mean it. EVERYONE that has tasted this collard green recipe LOVES it!
Southern collard greens can be made several ways. You can make your collard greens with bacon ( like I will be doing), smoked turkey wings, ham hocks, or even smoked pork neck bones.
I add 1 large jalapeno to my pot. If you are not a fan of hot peppers, you can omit the jalapeno.
Also be sure to check out these recipes as well!
- 4 lbs collard greens, cleaned and cut
- 1 lb bacon ends, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 to 3 tbsp of white distilled vinegar
- Place the bacon ends in a pot, and place the pot over medium heat.
- Brown the bacon then add in the diced onions, and cook until the onions start to sweat.
- Add in the minced garlic,then cook for 1 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and turn the heat up to high and let boil for 20 minutes.
- Pour in the 2 cups of water, and turn the heat down to medium.
- Start adding in the collard greens into the pot.
- Once all of the greens are in the pot, sprinkle in the seasoning salt and ground black pepper.
- Add in the sliced jalapeno, and the vinegar and stir the ingredients.
- Cover the pot, and let simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes over medium heat. Be sure to peak in and stir periodically.