How to make creamy grits without milk or cream. This easy grits recipe only calls for four ingredients!
I love making grits for breakfast. Nothing is better than creamy grits served with maple sausage, and soft scrambles eggs in my humble opinion!
I personally am a person that likes my creamy grits with a little bit of butter, salt & pepper.
When I make grits, I make them the easy way. I don’t use any cream, no milk. None of that fancy stuff! I am just sure to buy a nice quality brand ( I LOVE Albers), and I use water, butter, and salt! I know.. A lot of people think you NEED to add cream of milk to grits to make them creamy. However this is NOT true whatsoever!
Wanna know how to make creamy grits? Well I’ll tell you my secret. The secret to making creamy grits is to cook the grits for a long time! Yes, even the ” quick grits”! The longer you cook grits, the creamier the grits will be! It’s true!
The way I prepare these grits is pretty basic. I don’t add a ton of seasoning or etc, simply because some people like to add sugar in their grits, and some people like to add cheese to their grits. As mentioned earlier, I am a salt & pepper kind of girl. What kind of person are you?
Are you TEAM SALT or TEAM SUGAR when it comes to grits? Let me know in the comment section ( and no fighting, because people get serious when it comes to grits! LOL)
So now let’s what this simple tutorial on how I make my creamy grits recipe. Also be sure to follow me on Pinterest & Facebook!
- ¾ cup Albers quick grits, or your preference
- 3 cups water
- 2½ tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Pour the water into a medium saucepan, and turn the heat on high.
- Add in the butter and salt.
- Once the water is at a full boil, sprinkle in the grits, and whisk.
- Reduce the heat to low medium.
- Let cook for about 30-35 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent lumps.
- Serve, and jazz up with more butter, salt or sugar.
Looking for some more breakfast recipes? Try these!
- Southern Biscuits Recipe
- Egg, Sausage, and Potato Scramble
- French Toast Recipe
- Sweet Potato Pie Cinnamon Rolls