Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Butternut Squash with BACON.. YES!!!
Every holiday season I share a few side dishes, with at least one or two of them being a vegetable dishes. The past few years, I shared recipes for collard greens, southern green beans, and even creamed corn. This year I will be sharing a brussel sprout & butternut squash recipe!
Believe it or not, I absolutely love brussel sprouts. It’s been one of my favorite vegetables since I was a little girl. I used to call them ” baby cabbages”, LOL . My mom used to make brussel sprouts on the stove top with a lil bit of butter and seasonings, and would always serve it with rice, and whatever meat we had on hand.
These days I like to make my brussel sprouts a tad bit different.
During the holidays, I like to mix my brussel sprouts with butternut squash. I season the vegetables with a little bit of salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and a nice amount of smokey bacon.
The outcome is always extremely flavorful, and of course delicious! Even my family and friends that claim to not care much for brussel sprouts, and butternut squash love this recipe.
Try it out for yourself!
Check out my video tutorial!
- 2 lbs brussel spouts
- 1.5 lb butternut squash, peeled & sliced
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ lb smokey pork bacon, OR turkey bacon & 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Chop the bacon, then fry over medium heat until crisp,
- Remove the bacon from the pan, but reserve the bacon grease.
- Combine the butternut squash, onions, and brussel sprouts.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Next drizzle the bacon fat, all over the veggies.
- Toss the ingredients, then pour out in a bake dish or cookie sheet.
- Roast, uncovered, in the oven for 20 minutes on 400 F.
- Remove from the oven, and add the veggies into your serving dish.
- Sprinkle the crisp bacon on top.
- Serve, and enjoy!