A creamy cheesy homemade dip with bacon, rainbow chard, artichokes, and more!
I’ve been getting a ton of request for appetizer recipes. I know a lot of you have requested recipes for dips, and I think that I have the perfect recipe for you, and no- I’m not talking about the average spinach artichoke dip ( nope, bored with it!) . I’m talking about something super creamy, cheesy, and smokey. How about a dip loaded with bacon, rainbow chard, artichokes, sweet red peppers, and cheese. Sounds pretty damn amazing right?! Well it doesn’t stop there!
Unlike many dip recipes, this recipe does not contain mayonnaise, nor cream cheese. Instead I use mascarpone cheese, sour cream, and heavy cream.
I use pork bacon in this recipe. However, it can be replace with turkey bacon. Since turkey bacon does not render as much fat as pork, you will need 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to replace reserved bacon fat. If you don’t want to add any bacon, feel free to leave it out… but you’ll be skipping out on the smokey flavor!
Not a fan of rainbow chard? Try using one of the following
- Turnip Greens
- Collard Greens
Check out my video tutorial for this dip!
- 1 cup rainbow chard, chopped & stems removed
- 6-8 strips bacon
- 2 tbsp reserved bacon fat
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup chopped artichokes ( I used frozen)
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 oz sour cream
- 6 oz mascarpone cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded smoked gouda
- ⅔ cup shredded Italian style fontal cheese
- 1 tsp minced or dehydrated basil leaves
- salt & pepper for taste
- parsley flakes (optional)
- Cook the bacon, then crumble or chop it.
- Reserve 2 tbsp of bacon fat, then pour it into a pan.
- Toss in the rainbow chard, and cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the artichokes, and red bell pepper.
- Stir the ingredients then toss in the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the all purpose flour, and stir.
- Pour in the heavy cream, then add in the sour cream, and mascarpone.
- Stir the ingredients then add in the bacon, and the green onion.
- Sprinkle in ¾ the cheeses, then fold the ingredients.
- Sprinkle in the basil, and salt & pepper, then stir.
- Put the mixture in a bake dish(s).
- Top with the remaining cheese, and parsley ( optional)
- Put in the oven, set on broil until the top starts to brown, and bubbles.
- Let the dip cool for 5-10 minutes before digging it.
- Serve with chips, veggie sticks, or toasted bread.